Mark Edmondson, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Tr & Orth)
I particularly specialise in small incision hip replacement, revision (redo surgery) hip replacement for broken, infected or metal on metal hip problems, I also perform knee replacement, and keyhole knee surgery. I specialise in complex trauma of the upper and lower limbs, in particular fractures into the joints and fractures of and around joint replacements, as well as paediatric fractures.
I am the clinical lead for the Fracture Neck of Femur service (hip fracture care) at BSUH – this service has received excellent reports from the CQC, and has the lowest mortality (death rate) from fractured neck of femur in the south east region (half the national average at 30 days).
Outside of clinical care I am also a clinical and academic supervisor of several trainee doctors.
Outside of work I am kept very busy spending time with my 3 children. I am a keen Martial Artist, I am proficient in Judo, Kung Fu and Muay Thai, I have also studied many other arts. I also used to play rugby at a competitive level.
- Hip Surgery
- Knee Surgery
- Trauma Surgery
- Small incision hip replacement
- Hip resurfacing
- Revision hip surgery
- Sacroiliac joint surgery
- Knee arthroscopy
- Knee replacement surgery
- Complex trauma and limb reconstruction including treating fractures around joint replacements
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon (Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust)
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon (Montefiore Hospital, Brighton & Hove)
Training and Qualifications
MBBS, 2001 – Guys and St Thomas Hospitals, London
MRCS, 2005 – Royal College of Surgeons, Eng
FRCS (T+O) 2010 – Royal College of Surgeons, Eng
Basic Surgical Training:
Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals, Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead
Higher Surgical Training:
South-East Thames Orthopaedic Training Programme
Tumour and Complex Arthroplasty, Fremantle and Charles Gairdner Hospitals Western Australia.
Complex Trauma and limb reconstruction surgery, BSUH Brighton.
I have published several articles in peer reviewed Orthopaedic Journals. I have published on the subjects of joint replacement, infection, trauma, foot and ankle surgery, and paediatric surgery here is a selection:
Hip and Knee replacement:
- Stem migration and fretting corrosion of the anti-rotation pin in the K2/Apex hip system. M Kent, M Edmondson, J Ebert, D Wood. Journal of Arthroplasty. JOA-D-15-00952R1
- Prospective Randomised Controlled Trial using Radiosteriometric analysis to assess subsidence and rotation, of two modular cementless femoral stems. M Edmondson, J Ebert, O Nivbrant, D Wood. Journal of Orthopaedics, 22.4.2014 [http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jor.2014.02.001]
- A retrospective medium to long-term results of 1,500 AGC total knee replacements – an independent centre functional follow-up and survivorship. A Atrey, M Edmondson, D East, N Ellens, K Miles, R Goddard, H Apthorp, A Butler-Manuel. Journal of Orthopaedics 2013 JOO-D-13-00038
Oxford Unicompartmental knee replacement: medial pain and functional outcome in the medium term. Edmondson M, Isaac D, Gibb P, Skinner P. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research. 2011 6:52 [DOI: 10.1186/1749-799X-6-52
- Per acetabular dislocation of a Harris Galante Total hip Arthroplasty secondary to component failure.
Sfeir MJ, Edmondson M, Skyrme A. American Journal of case reports. 2010;11
- Oxford Unicompartmental knee replacement – functional outcome study, a correlation with radiographic appearances?. Edmondson M, Isaac D, Gibb P, Skinner P. (Abstract) South Thames Orthopaedic Proceedings. Jan 2007
- Vancomycin Iontophoresis of Allograft Bone. M Edmondson, R Day, D Wood. Bone and Joint Research, April 2014 vol. 3 no. 4 101-107 [DOI: 10.1302/2046-3758.34.2000223]
- The efficacy of tranexamic acid in hemiarthroplasty surgery. An observational cohort study. Lee C, Freeman R, Edmondson M, Rogers B. Injury 2015, 25th June DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2015.06.039.
- Soft tissue complications of the surgical treatment of unstable ankle fractures: is it timing of the surgery or the implants?. S Yousef, C Lee, A Khan, N Hossain, M Edmondson. Bone and joint journal. 2014:96-B: sup 17:19
Foot and ankle surgery:
- Case series of 17 modified Weil’s osteotomies for Freiberg’s and Köhler’s II AVN, with AOFAS scoring pre- and post-operatively. Edmondson M, Sherry K, Afolyan J,. Armitage A, Skyrme A. Foot and Ankle, Jan 2010 [DOI 10.1016.jfas. 2009.12.0001]
- Long term follow up of the surgically corrected club foot. Edmondson M, Oliver M, Slack R, Tuson K. Journal of Paediatric Orthopaedics, May 2007. Vol 16:03 pages 204-208. (BPB200173)
- Paediatric Fractures: Mechanisms and Trends. Sleat G, Edmondson M, Couch J, Goel A, Ajuied A. (Abstract) South Thames Orthopaedic Proceedings. Jan 2007 page 53